- Tuition for Journey is $895, including a $100 deposit with the application.
- Financial assistance is made available by the WGC.
- Journey applications and scholarship information can be found at mlw.org. Download the application here.
- Applications must be received by April 30 – don’t delay, Journey sold out last year!
Journey Camp for Girls, or “Journey” is a week-long camp for rising 7th, 8th, and 9th grade girls in Howard County, MD that is run by Maryland Leadership Workshops and conceived of and funded by the Women’s Giving Circle of Howard County.
The idea behind Journey is to bring girls, in their formative years together to learn about leadership, empowerment, and community. At Journey each student identifies her own leadership skills, strengths, and challenges in a supportive and fun environment that fosters self-esteem and confidence.
A week at Journey includes:
- Workshops on topics such as empowerment and motivation, decision making, communication, self-awareness, goal setting, group dynamics, and conflict resolution.
- Group projects that challenge girls to apply new skills and exceed their own expectations.
- Team-building activities that strengthen interpersonal skills and build lasting memories.
- One-on-one mentoring with members of a dedicated and highly trained staff.
SCHOLARSHIPS IN MEMORY OF CINDY HANKIN
The WGC is honored to have begun a program this year to provide scholarships in memory of former WGC Advisory Board Member Cindy Hankin.
In 2018 the WGC provided $5,005 in scholarships.
Funded by Cindy’s family, friends, and WGC donors, these scholarships are provided in her memory in perpetuity to qualifying Journey Camp participants. Cindy was a staunch supporter of the Journey Camp for Girls. A former teacher, and school principal, Cindy was beloved by her family, friends, students, and community and served as mentor, and long-time advocate for women and girls. Cindy brought a bright and wonderful spirit to the world, enriching it for all who knew her.
“I am thrilled that we were able to increase our scholarships this year, which means we are achieving our goal of reaching girls from different demographic and socioeconomic groups across the county” says Alison Canning, WGC Chair. “We are honored to be able to give so much in the first year that we began offering scholarships in memory of our friend Cindy Hankin.”
Support for Journey provided by the Women’s Giving Circle, a fund of the Community Foundation of Howard County.