2022 WGC BIG GIVE General Process and Grantmaking Guidelines:
- The WGC’s focuses our grantmaking on programs that benefit women and girls in Howard County. We specifically focus on programs that increase the life skills of women and girls, encourage the healthy development and personal authority of young girls, and raise the awareness of gender disparities in our community and beyond - all with the overlay of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- WGC’s State of Women and Girls in Howard County details our grantmaking, totaling $1,043,807 over 20 years, as well as the framework that guides our grantmaking efforts, which generally falls within each of six categories: Demographics and Diversity, Work and the Economy, Education and Educators, Health and Wellbeing, Safety and Justice, and Leadership and Political Participation.
- The Big Give Membership is designed to provide unrestricted, general operating grants to our nonprofit partners, inline with our Trust-Based Philanthropy approach and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion beliefs. (These approaches will be discussed during the Big Learn session in August.)
- Big Give Members will be provided with a slate of vetted nonprofit partners within these six categories for review, discussion, and vote. The nonprofit vetting process will be completed in advance by the WGC in partnership with the Community Foundation of Howard County and includes ensuring each nonprofit is in good standing with the Maryland Secretary of State.
- Big Give Members will be provided with a checklist of items to consider when reviewing the nonprofit organizations’ grant requests and will be encouraged to do additional research on their own via the nonprofits’ website in between meetings to learn more about the nonprofits being considered. The final three nonprofits being considered will be invited to speak with Big Give Members at the final October Big Give event where members will vote on the amounts that each of the three nonprofits organizations will receive. (Members are encouraged to wait to hear directly from these nonprofits during the Big Give voting event as we do not want to overwhelm them or keep them from doing their important mission work.)